Welcome Back to School
Dear Grade 3 Students and Parents,
Welcome to a new school year. For those who don’t know me, this is my 8th year teaching. Most of that time has been within the Foothills School Division. It is my 5th year teaching the Primary Years Programme.
In the days, and months, ahead I will be sending more detailed information regarding our year in Grade 3. We will be using the students’ agendas as our primary means of communication. This is a good place for us to send quick messages or reminders of upcoming events. Please be sure to check your child’s agenda daily, and I will be sure to do the same each morning.
I am looking forward to the year ahead!
Miss Tandee Olver
Millarville Community School – Grade 3
The Primary Years Programme (PYP):
According to the International Baccalaureate website www.ibo.org, PYP is, “designed for students aged 3 to 12. It focuses on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds, and encompassing social, physical, emotional, and cultural needs in addition to academic development.”
PYP Key Concepts:
Throughout the year we will be looking at these fundamental questions:
- FORM – What is it like?
- FUNCTION – How does it work?
- CAUSATION – Why is it like that?
- CHANGE – How is it changing?
- CONNECTION – How is it connected to other things?
- PERSPECTIVE – What are the points of view?
- RESPONSIBILITY – What is our responsibility?
- REFLECTION – How do we know?
Our PYP Units in Grade 3:
How We Organize Ourselves – Building & Structures
How We Express Ourselves – Story Writing and Poetry
Where We are in Place & Time – 4 Countries
Who We Are – 4 Countries
Sharing the Planet – Life Cycles
How the World Works – Rocks & Minerals
Grade 3 Housekeeping Items:
- LIBRARY – our library class is on Thursday. The children are allowed to take out two books and must bring them back the next class in order to take our new books. (or re-sign them out if not finished)
- BOOK ORDERS – every month your child will receive a Scholastic book order form. All of our combined orders add up quickly and in return provide new books for the classroom. If you chose to order books, please make cheques payable to Scholastic Canada Ltd.
- WATER BOTTLES – Brain research tells us that a hydrated brain is a better working brain. The children are encouraged to bring a water bottle to school, labeled with their name.
- PARENT VOLUNTEERS – Parents are always welcome in the classroom! I do not run a set schedule but welcome you to come help whenever you are able. At times I may make a call-out for specific projects or events.
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION – The Grade 3 class will have PE on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. They are asked to have proper indoor shoes suitable for gym class.
- OUTDOOR PURSUITS – The Grade 3 class will have OP classes with Ms. Elliott on Friday. They will be outside during this time. We ask that the students are properly dressed (as they should be for all recesses) for outside activities.
- HOMEWORK – The Grade 3 class are asked to read for at least 10 minutes every evening. On occasion there will also be Math homework, however it will be review questions based on work we have done in class.
- SUPPLIES – Classroom supplies are provided. However, I ask that each student bring in a box of Kleenex.
- BIRTHDAYS – We acknowledge each child’s birthday as close to the special day as possible. Some children enjoy bringing in treats for the class and this is welcome, but certainly not expected. Should you decide to send treats, please know that we will hand them out at lunch time.
Thank-you for your support!