Millarville Community School is a member of the Foothills Athletic Council (FAC), an organization of public, catholic and private schools in the foothills area. The council contains approximately thirty members who work together to facilitate high level athletics programming.
At Millarville, we offer six sports to children, which are outlined below. You can also find our schools Athletics Handbook here.
- FLAG FOOTBALL (grades 6-8)- Flag football runs from the first week of school through the second week of October. Boys and girls participate on the team, and grade 6, 7 and 8 students are welcome to play! Students learn basic throwing, catching, handoff and defensive skills, and in addition to our regular season and playoffs, we finish the season with a trip to McMahon Stadium in Calgary for a tournament.
- CROSS COUNTRY (grades 1-8)- Cross Country runs parallel to the flag football season (upper school students are encouraged to participate in both). The grades 6-8 students train at lunch hour, and participate in the FAC cross country championships, where top competitors advance to further competitions. New to Millarville is the grade 1-6 cross country series, where students train and compete in fun mini-cross country meets across the foothills area. This program has involved the training of a number of parent coaches, who have taken the lead in making this an outstanding experience for children.
- VOLLEYBALL (grades 6-8)- Volleyball season takes up most of October and November. Millarville boasts three volleyball teams- one for junior high girls, one for junior high boys and one for grade six students. At the junior high level, players practice and play 3-4 times per week in the FAC league, while grade six players compete in a series of fun tournaments and games around the foothills area.
- BASKETBALL (grades 6-8)- Basketball runs from December through the first week of March, and teams are aligned in the same way as the volleyball teams. We are proud to host a major basketball tournament at the junior high level, which complements the regular season and practice schedule. Junior high athletes should be prepared to practice or play 3-4 days per week.
- BADMINTON (grades 7-8)- The badminton season runs from the beginning of March through the third week of April. Students practice twice per week, and compete in singles and doubles play, culminating in the FAC championship tournament, where top competitors have the opportunity to move on to higher play.
- TRACK AND FIELD (grades 6-8)- Track runs through the month of May, and offers students the opportunity to train in sprints, long distance running events, throwing events and jumping events. The season culminates with the FAC track meet, where top competitors move on to higher competition.