Board Highlights - October 2
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
Presentation: Inclusive Learning
Director of Inclusive Learning, Loriann Salmon, presented. Ms Salmon focused on the following goals:
- Engaging Leaders in Supporting All Learners
- Support for All Learners
- Leveraging Engagement for All Learners
The presentation covered current and future initiatives including Minds Matter; Canadian Mental Health Association; Collective Leadership; Collaborative Inquiry; and Partner Engagement.
Celebration: Foothills School Division will have an article published in the College of Alberta School Superintendents’ magazine about The Journey within a Continuum of Supports and Services.
The Board approve the attendance of Trustees at the CSBA Conference in July 2020 in Banff.
Superintendent of Schools Contract
The Board passed a motion to amend the Superintendent of Schools’ Contract to reflect one of the changes in the Superintendent of Schools Regulations.
September 30, 2019 Enrollment Report
The enrolment as of September 30, 2019 was presented to the Board. Our Division experienced a growth of 1.3% which equates to 102 students. Foothills School Division currently has 8102 students enrolled.
Classroom / Program Innovative Projects
Applications are currently being received. Excitement is rising around the CPIP program for 2019-20 and the application deadline is October 15.
The following Administrative Procedures were reviewed by the Board:
Millarville School Grade Reconfiguration Update
Board Chair Albrecht reported on the second community engagement meeting at Oilfields High School which was well attended. The online ThoughtExchange public engagement closes on October 15, 2019.
Provincial Education Budget
The Provincial Education Budget will be delivered on October 24, 2019.
Policy 1 Engagement Plan
An Engagement Plan around Policy 1 has been developed. ThoughtExhange public engagement will launch October 7, 2019 and continue until November 5, 2019. The Board of Trustees will make a final decision based upon feedback at their regular Board Meeting on November 13, 2019.
Public Announcements / Recognition / Division Highlights
- Board Chair Albrecht attended the Dr Morris Gibson Grand Opening of their new inclusive playground. Kudos to all parents, over the last 5 years, who had the vision to make this happen. Congratulations to all those who partnered with Foothills School Division and ‘hats off’ to Director of Planning, Monica Kohlhammer for her effort. This project modelled collaboration and an example for the future.
- Trustee Nichols acknowledged the work of School Councils as they begin the school year and invite their school communities to attend and participate in meetings.
- Trustee Young congratulated all participants in the Terry Fox Runs throughout the Division.
- Staff and students donned their orange shirts on September 30 to celebrate Orange Shirt Day as part of our commitment to the ongoing process of reconciliation.
- Congratulations to Chase Ashbaugh, EFCHS/AHSFA student who received the Peoples’ Choice Award at the Zooom Film Festival.
- Caroline Roberts and Trustee Nichols arranged a tour of the Niitsitapi Learning Centre in Calgary for Trustees, Administrators, and teachers as they continue to extend their learning.